This Page

has been moved to new address

Sweet & Smoky Glazed Almonds

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Penny Pinching Epicure: Sweet & Smoky Glazed Almonds

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sweet & Smoky Glazed Almonds


TJs carries a number of candied nuts, but I always hate buying such a teeny tiny bag for the same price as a full pound of un-candied nuts. I got home last night wanting to bake, so I decided to try candying my own nuts!

The first idea that popped into my head was brown sugar and smoked paprika, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't totally crazy and setting myself up for a flavor combination disaster, so I did a little internet searching and found this recipe by Smitten Kitchen. I made some recipe adjustments: I used just almonds, reduced the sugar since I don't like super-sweet candied nuts, used sweet smoked paprika rather than hot, and upped the cooking time just a bit. I also removed the nuts from the egg wash before sprinkling with the sugar mixture because there was a lot of extra liquid and I didn't want the sugar to dissolve and melt (although it still ended up doing that anyway...so my I'm saying my almonds are glazed rather than candied :)).

I think these came out great! Just the right balance of sweet and salty, a little pizazz from the cinnamon, and a mild smoky hint to finish things off. I'm taking them into work today so I don't eat them all, they are addictive!

Notes:

  • Make sure you buy raw nuts if you are going to be doing any kind of roasting with them; if you buy pre-roasted, you'll end up with brittle and overcooked nuts.
  • I didn't feel like waiting for my egg white to come to room temperature, so I put it in a warm water bath by nesting 2 of my awesome metal mixing bowls (kind of like a double boiler) from Webstaurant Store (@webstaurant) and it was room temp in less than 2 minutes.
  • Thanks to my beautiful sister (a potter as well as an amazing cook) for the serving dish featured in the above picture!
Sweet & Smoky Glazed Almonds

Ingredients:

1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp water
1 lb raw almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper; make sure there are no lumps.
  3. Whisk egg white and water until frothy. Add almonds and stir to coat.
  4. Using a slotted spoon, remove nuts from egg wash and spread in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar mixture, tossing to coat, then re-spread in a single layer.
  5. Bake nuts for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Allow nuts to cool, breaking up any that are stuck together. Store in an airtight container.
  7. Take them into work so you don't eat them all.
The cost:
nuts: 4.49
other ingredients: <1.00

Grand total: 5.49

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Steve Ziegler said...

That sounds delish! My wife often makes very sweet glazed nuts. But I really like the idea of adding in smoked paprika and black pepper, as i am addicted to both of those spices. I am emailing to my wife now....hint, hint, hun!

March 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Yum.. these do look great!! I made something like this around Christmas time... definitely a yummy treat!

March 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home