This Page

has been moved to new address

Broccoli Slaw

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Penny Pinching Epicure: Broccoli Slaw

Monday, December 28, 2009

Broccoli Slaw

I hate mayo with a passion (the taste grosses me out), so I have to find creative ways to substitute for it. My fave substitute is mustard--it comes in so many different flavors that you can find a good mustard for almost any recipe that calls for mayo. [Note: Mustard is also a great substitute if you are a vegan]

I most frequently use mustard in salad dressings. [Quick dressing primer: In order to keep oil and vinegar from separating when you are making a dressing, you need a "stabilizer" that will keep the dressing emulsified and prevent separation. A lot of recipes will use mayo (the egg it in acts as a stabilizer), but mustard works just as well.]

My top choices of mustards for dressing: Honey mustard, spicy brown mustard, dijon mustard, and a recent good find, Peppadew mustard.

Long story short, I made this broccoli slaw that has a mustard-based rather than a mayo-based dressing and I thought it was delicious (also there was none left so I'm assuming my Shabbat lunch guests might agree :)).

Note 1: I sometimes like to change up my slaw and use broccoli instead of cabbage, but if you can't find broccoli slaw in your area or prefer cabbage, this recipe works just as well as cole slaw.

Note 2: If my use of agave freaks you out, honey works well too. (This is for you BK)

Broccoli Slaw

1 package broccoli slaw
2 scallions, chopped
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)

Directions:
  1. Place broccoli slaw and scallions in a salad bowl.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients except for almonds (I like to use my immersion blender attachment) and pour over veggies. Toss to coat. Top with almonds just before serving.
The cost:
broccoli slaw: 2.29
scallions: .15
[almonds: .45]
other ingredients: .50

Grand total: 2.94 [3.39 w/ almonds]; serves 6-8 as a side dish

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home